Fixing the furnace on the fritz.
The furnace is your home’s single largest and most important appliance. You wouldn’t drive your car 10,000 miles without an oil change. Likewise, it’s not a good idea to go years without inspecting, maintaining and, if necessary, repairing your furnace.
The biggest reasons why?
- The health of your family. An unmaintained furnace not only increases the junk in the air, it can lead to inefficient combustion in the unit — a leading cause of carbon monoxide in the home.
- Total comfort. If your furnace isn’t properly inspected, maintained and repaired, it can take a while getting the internal temperature to your desired level and it may have a hard time staying there.
- Efficiency and savings. If your furnace is working inefficiently, it might as well be connected to the toilet because you’re flushing money down the drain.
Here’s what our inspection includes.
- A thorough inspection of the heat exchanger for cracks, holes and leaks.
- Checking gas pressure for proper setting.
- Examination of the flame for a proper mixture of air and gas.
- Examination of the air filter for proper airflow.
- Inspection and oiling of fan motor, if needed.
- Inspection of visible vent piping.
Al’s Tip: Clean or replace the air filter every one to two months so you’re not making your furnace run harder and longer. And don’t obstruct the airflow near hot air registers, return air grills, radiators, and baseboard heaters.