A high-efficiency cooling system will save you energy every month while making your home more comfortable. With electrical costs rising, it could be one of the smartest investments you could ever make.
Benefits of a New System:
- Energy and cost savings
- Better home cooling and A/C performance
- Maintain a more consistent home temperatures
- Quieter operation
Should I Repair or Replace my HVAC System?
This question has been asked for nearly as long as air conditioning and furnaces have been around. Given the cost to repair my unit, am I better off replacing it?
Here are the tools to determine if you are better off repairing or replacing your A/C & Furnace. This decision depends largely on the repair costs plus the age & efficiency of your existing A/C.
The same goes for GAS furnaces. For ELECTRIC furnaces, you can achieve tremendous heating costs savings with a heat pump.
What has been the repair history in the past 5 years? If the current repair is one of many, it is pretty clear the A/C is nearly worn out. If it is the first repair needed during the most recent 5 years, there is no evidence your existing A/C is worn out.
How Old Is Your Current A/C? A/C units last up to about 15 years. If your air conditioner’s age is more than 15 years, it is nearly worn out. If it has started needing frequent repairs, chances are it will simply stop working, and is most likely to happen when temps are high, and it is running a lot. If it’s worn out, it makes no sense to repair it, if it can even be repaired.
How Efficient Is Your A/C? Its age determines the efficiency of the A/C. Given the amount of cooling needed during a DFW summer, it is quite possible you can pay for the new A/C with the electricity savings of the new unit.
A new installation in DFW must have a minimum Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER) of 14.
If your current A/C is a SEER 7 (built as late as 1991) — a SEER 14 will use 1/2 of the electricity. At 10 cents per kWh, a new 14 SEER will save around -$550 per year. Over 15 years, the savings = $8,250. That is more than you will pay for the new A/C.
* Home Advisor says the average charge to repair a central air conditioner in DFW is $365.
FOR GAS FURNACES:
If your existing furnace has white plastic vent pipes, it is at least 92% efficient.
If it has a smaller diameter metal vent pipe, it is 80% efficient
Note: You can see smaller vent pipe going into the existing larger vent pipe in this older home.
If your furnace has a larger diameter metal vent pipe, it is less than 80% efficient. Note: This could be 70% — It could be less than 60%, depending on the furnace’s age.
FOR ELECTRIC FURNACE:
If you have an electric furnace, your heating costs are Far Higher Than With An Electric Heat Pump.
- Cost=$1.03 A High-Efficiency Gas Furnace producing 100,000 BTU of heat.
- Cost=$1.18 A Standard-Efficiency (80%) Gas Furnace producing 100,000 BTU of heat.
- Cost=$1.16 A High-Efficiency Heat Pump (HSPF=10) producing 100,000 BTU of heat.
- Cost=$1.36 A Standard-Efficiency Heat Pump (HSPF – 8.3) producing 100,000 BTU of heat.
- Cost=$2.36 An Electric Furnace producing 100,000 BTU of heat.
- If you have natural gas service to your home, you will reduce heating costs by 60% with a new standard-efficiency (80%) gas furnace — as compared to your existing electric furnace.
- If you do not have natural gas service, you will reduce heating costs by 50% or more with a new standard-efficiency Heat Pump (8.3 HSPF) — as compared to your existing electric furnace.
- Note: The Heat Pump also replaces your existing Air Conditioner unit.
Al’s provides Full-Service HVAC System Maintenance, Repair and Replacement Services on all brands of Air Conditioners, Furnaces and Heat Pumps (including Trane and American Standard). We perform every service needed to keep your heating and air conditioning system running at its best.
We sell and install American Standard, Coleman and Ameristar — Air Conditioner unit, Furnace and Heat Pump.
Our HVAC Technicians are NATE (North American Technician Excellence) Certified. They are trained and experienced in providing maintenance and repair of your HVAC System + Installation of new HVAC systems.
Contact Al’s today to discuss any problem you have with your Plumbing or HVAC System. We offer appointments at your convenience & are also your Emergency Plumber resource, with 24/7 Emergency Service. All our Plumbers are licensed and experienced in diagnosing and repairing your residential plumbing.