Control Your A/C & Furnace With Voice-Command
As technology advances, our lives can become easier and more convenient. One of the more impressive recent innovations allows you to control your Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) System with voice command. The author of this blog has this set up. It’s great to be able to change the temperature while warm in bed, or while watching TV, without having get up. You can control the Nest Thermostat with your voice from the convenience of where you are located. An Alexa device is required to be near your location to receive your voice command.
What You Need For Voice-Command Operation
While there are many versions of Voice-Command Thermostat Operation devices, we focus on only the Nest Thermostat + Amazon Echo / Alexa.
Shown: Nest 3rd Generation Thermostat (original style)
Shown: Nest E thermostat. A newer, less expensive, all white model.
The Nest Thermostat now comes in two styles. The original has a clear face and metal trim. The new Nest E has a translucent face and white trim. They differ only cosmetically, and operate the same way.
NOTE: Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C Sells & Installs The Next Thermostat Model 3
You will need an Alexa device near where you will typically create voice commands. Alexa can hear you from a reasonable distance, though sometimes doesn’t get the command correct if you are too far away.
Amazon sells Echo / Alexa in a wide range of products. A unit can be the size of a hockey puck (lower right below) all the way up to a large video display. You can see all the details on Amazon.com
Shown: Various Models Of Amazon Echo Devices
Click Here To See Or Purchase The Amazon Echo Dot: Amazon Echo Dot
How It Works
- You say a command such as “Alexa, set Nest to 68 degrees.”
- Amazon Echo, typically called “Alexa” — produces and sends a signal to your home’s WiFi (wireless internet connection)
- Once the command is received back from the internet to the router, the router sends a digital command to the Nest Thermostat
- The Thermostat executes the command.
- NOTE: Alexa encodes the message into digital format. Nest decodes the digital message into a command the thermostat carries out. The internet is the middle man.
Click Here To See Alexa Set A Nest Thermostat To A Different Temperature: Set Nest Thermostat Temperature With Amazon Alexa
The Temperature Reset Begins At Time (0:59 / 3:08) Note: Nest display turns orange because it’s now set to turn the furnace on.
What You Must Do So The Nest Thermostat & Alexa Can Communicate With Each Other
1. You Must Have Alexa Connected To Your Wireless Internet & On Line.
This is done with the Amazon Alexa App. One you have downloaded the app, it will take you through the set up process.
NOTE: Alexa can perform many Smart Home tasks. For each voice-command task, there must be a device to receive, decode and carry out the digital command.
- Connect your Echo’s power supply
- Install the Amazon Alexa app on your phone
- Connect your phone or tablet to your Echo’s Wi-Fi network
- Switch to the app and choose Set up a new device
- If prompted, enter your Amazon username and password
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter its password
- The Alexa assistant is ready to use
Click Here To See All Alexa Compatible SmartHome Devices. SmartHome.Reviewed.com Everything That Works With Alexa
2. You Must Have The Nest Thermostat Connected To Your Wireless Internet & On Line.
This is done with the Nest Thermostat App. Once you have downloaded the app, it will take you through the set up process
NOTE: With the app, you can control your thermostat from anywhere in the world.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Tap the menu button and select Smart Home from the list.
- Swipe down until you see Get More Smart Home Skills and tap on the arrow.
- Type “Nest” in the search box and tap the first result with the Nest logo.
- Tap Enable Skill.
- Log in to your Nest account.
- Select Accept.
Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C in Plano, Texas provides maintenance & repairs for all brands of Central A/C, Gas & Electric Furnace, and Heat Pumps. Additionally we sell and install new HVAC Systems from American Standard (same company as Trane), Ameristar (same company as American Standard) and Coleman HVAC (same company as York HVAC).
Al’s also provides full service plumbing maintenance, repairs and replacements for every plumbing component in your home. Al’s sells and installs Rheem Professional Series gas & electric water heaters, and tankless water heaters. Al’s is near your home in Plano, Murphy, Wylie and Rowlette. We service all homes in southern Collin and Denton Counties with no additional travel-charges.
Call Al’s today to discuss any concerns or problems you have with your HVAC System or Plumbing. We will arrange an appointment at your convenience and offer 24/7 Emergency Service