Learn More About Ponder, TX Here: Ponder, TX Website
Al’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning Provides Maintenance, Repair & Replacement services for Plumbing & HVAC in Ponder, TX.
Since 1989, Al’s has served southern Denton & Collin counties, northern Dallas County & northeast Tarrant County with up to a 12 Truck Service Fleet to serve you promptly.
This Is What You Get With Al’s:
- As a company, Al’s has a Texas Plumbing License, PLUS
- We employ only Texas Licensed Plumbers. The Plumber coming into your home also has a Texas Plumber License.
- We pull all Plumbing and HVAC Permits required by your City. You can check your City’s website to know when a Plumbing or HVAC Permit is required.
- We employ NATE Certified HVAC Technicians (Details on NATE below. Texas doesn’t have HVAC Licenses).
- We install Brand-Specific Repair Parts versus “one size fits all”.
- Our Service Staff has over 110 years experience.
Al’s Offers 24 / 7 Emergency Service for both Plumbing & HVAC Systems in Ponder, TX
Boundaries and History of Ponder, TX
Boundaries of Ponder, TX:
Ponder was at the intersection of Farm roads 156 and 2449 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway tracks, in western Denton County.
North boundary: The northwest corner of Ponder is 5 miles west & 1 mile north of Ponder High School. From there, the north boundary heads nearly directly east to (1.5 miles west of) Ponder High School, turns directly north to January Lane, west 100 feet, north to Knight Lane. East .5 mile to George Owens Road, south to Petes Lane, northeast 150 feet and south to (just north of) January Lane. East to (nearly) the intersection of 156 and January Lane, then northeast (1 mile west of 156) to (nearly) Palmer Road and forms a half-circle.
East boundary: Begins at the half-circle (described above) and runs south along (just west of) 156 to (just north of) E. James Street. East to where James Street ends, the south & southwest to Route 2449 at Churchill Downs Drive, east to Florance Rd, south 1.5 miles, west to Robinson Road, south to Seaborn Rd., east 300 feet, south to (1.5 miles north of) Webb Road — which is the southwest corner of the town.
South boundary: At the southwest corner of town (described above) the south border heads west 1/3 mile, north to (just south of) Seaborn Rd., west 1 mile, north .5 mile, southwest 1 mile, north 3 miles, west 1 mile, south to Seaborn Road, east .5 mile, south .5 mile, west 4 miles — to the southwest corner of town.
West boundary: From the southwest corner of town (describe above) the west boundary heads (slightly) northeast 3 miles, west 2.5 miles, north to (just south of Rt. 2449. West along 2449 to Schluter Rd., north 50 feet, east along Rt. 2449 for 4 miles, and north 2 miles — which is the northwest corner of town.
History of Ponder, TX
Settlers reached the area in the 1850s. One of the first to arrive was Silas Christal, who settled just west of the site of future Ponder, where he built an oxen-powered gristmill. In 1886 the Santa Fe purchased land for a right-of-way through the community. The railroad called the community Gerald, and in 1887 the first passenger train arrived in town. In 1889, when it was discovered that another Texas town was called Gerald. For this reason, the town was renamed Ponder, in honor of W. A. Ponder, a prosperous landowner and Denton banker.
Ponder received a post office in 1893 with C. N. Skaggs as postmaster in his general store. Shortly afterward O. H. Sheppard opened the second business in the community, a blacksmith shop. H. F. Wakefield, the area’s largest landowner, owned 17,000 acres, including much of the townsite.
He donated land for the school in 1897 and built his home on the eastern side of town, along with several rental houses. The first church in the community was a Baptist church founded in 1893, and the second was a Methodist church founded in 1902. In 1903 Ponder was surveyed for the first time, and the community continued to grow. In 1910 two large businesses were completed, the Ponder State Bank and the Ponder Hotel. Two years later the community had its own waterworks. By 1914 it had several general stores, a livery stable, tailors, and a restaurant.
By the 1920s Ponder had a population of 84 and 16 businesses. In the early 1920s a brick school was constructed, in 1935 it had 186 students and seven teachers. In 1939 the Ponder Rodeo began. It became a community event, with everyone pitching in to help build the arena and local women’s groups selling refreshments. Admission was twenty-five cents. The rodeo remained in Ponder until 1942, when it was moved to Denton because of gas and rubber rationing during World War II. In 1946, the Rodeo moved back to Ponder and soon had a new 3,500-seat arena. When Denton started its own rodeo in 1950, the Ponder rodeo ended.
The population of Ponder in the 1940s was 250. By the mid-1950s, although the population remained the same. Many businesses were available to serve the area farmers and ranchers, including 2 grocery stores, a cafe, a cotton gin, a grain elevator, 2 gas stations, a trucking business, and one of the county’s last remaining blacksmith shops.
By the end of the 1960s the community was incorporated. In the 1970s Ponder had a population of 179 and 5 businesses. Many residents of small towns had been moving to big cities to find jobs. In the 1980s people were moving from big cities to small towns and Ponder’s population was back up to 297. The community still had five businesses. In 1980 a processor of liquefied petroleum (LP) gas located in Ponder. By 1990 the population was 432, and another manufacturer was there making van conversions. In 2000 Ponder’s population was 528 and 1,400 in 2010.
SOURCE: Ponder TX website
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Nita Seals, Ponder: The Little Town with the Big Rodeo (Gainesville, Texas, 1985)