Learn More About Richardson, TX Here: Richardson, TX Website
Al’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning Provides Maintenance, Repair & Replacement services for Plumbing & HVAC in Richardson, TX.
Since 1989, Al’s has served southern Denton & Collin counties, northern Dallas County & northeast Tarrant County with up to a 12 Truck Service Fleet to serve you promptly.
This Is What You Get With Al’s:
- As a company, Al’s has a Texas Plumbing License, PLUS
- We employ only Texas Licensed Plumbers. The Plumber coming into your home also has a Texas Plumber License.
- We pull all Plumbing and HVAC Permits required by your City. You can check your City’s website to know when a Plumbing or HVAC Permit is required.
- We employ NATE Certified HVAC Technicians (Details on NATE below. Texas doesn’t have HVAC Licenses).
- We install Brand-Specific Repair Parts versus “one size fits all”.
- Our Service Staff has over 110 years experience.
Al’s Offers 24 / 7 Emergency Service for both Plumbing & HVAC Systems in Richardson, TX.
Boundaries and History of Richardson, TX
Richardson, TX is a residential and electronic manufacturing suburb of Dallas, and is home Texas Instruments. The City is located along both sides of on U.S. Highway 75. Railroads within Richardson include: Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe; Southern Pacific; and St. Louis and Southwestern railroads.
Richardson is 14 miles northeast of downtown Dallas. The 28 square miles area of Richardson includes Buckingham. Originally a separate city, the 159-acre city of Buckingham is now entirely within the city limits of Richardson. Richardson is surrounded by Dallas to the northwest, southwest and south. Garland is along the eastern boundary. Plano to the north, and Murphy on the northeast corner. Spring and Duck creeks and Cottonwood Branch run through the community.
Boundaries of Richardson, TX:
North: President George Bush Tollway (Plano, TX is north of the Tollway).
- On its northwest corner, Richardson borders the City of Dallas along Coit Road.
- Also parts of Dallas on the southwest corner of Richardson.
East: Mostly Jupiter Avenue, plus a small portion of the northeastern corner between Jupiter and Murphy Roads.
South: Border is jagged, and consists of areas along Spring Valley Road, Walnut Street, and W. Buckingham Road.
History of Richardson, TX
The area of Richardson was settled by the Peters colony in the 1840s and 1850s. The area of waving grass and numerous springs was popular with early settlers, who formed the community of Breckinridge in the 1840s and 1850s. Breckinridge flourished until 1873, when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad bypassed it. Richardson was founded along the Houston and Texas Central Railway tracks. After Richardson was built, the residents of Breckinridge moved to Richardson to be close the railroad.
William J. Wheeler, a local ginner, and Bernard Reilly donated 101 acres of land for the original townsite plus right-of-way for the railroad in 1873. The city was called Richardson when it received a post office in 1874. The City was most likely named for E. H. Richardson, a contractor who built the Houston and Texas Railroad from Dallas to Denton.
By 1881 Richardson was a thriving community with several stores, including general stores, groceries, and drugstores, 4 doctors, several cotton gins, and churches. By 1901 the community had its first newspaper, the Richardson Register. In 1904, Richardson’s population was 147. In 1925 there were 400 residents.
Transportation improved in Richardson with the arrival of the Interurban electric railroad (from Sherman to Dallas). In 1909 the community’s streets were graveled. Additionally, Dallas County built a gravel road from Dallas to the Collin county line. Around the same time telephones were available in the community, and electric lights were in use. By 1914 there were four churches, a bank, a weekly paper, the Richardson Echo, and a number of stores.
In 1914, a new 8 room brick school was built to replace the four-room frame school. Two wings were added to accommodate more students when Richardson and Addison High Schools were consolidated. This building is in use today as the RISD Adminstration Building, located at 400 S Greenville Ave. In 1915 Richardson had its own community brass band, and the practices and concerts were an important social event. The band disbanded in 1917, when many of its members left to fight in World War I. After WWI, the community continued to prosper in the 1920s. In 1922 the first official Richardson fair was held to promote interest in agriculture and livestock. It began as a purely agricultural fair, but eventually special events were scheduled at fair time and local businesses had exhibits. The fair continued to grow and prosper and still took place in the 1970s.
In 1924, the Red Rick Road (now Greenville Ave.) was built. This generated more traffic, the population grew, and property values began to rise. In 1925 Richardson incorporated and elected T. F. McKamy as the first mayor under a commission form of city government. The community continued its improvements with a public waterworks and the formation of a volunteer fire department in 1926. The next year the Richardson and Addison High schools were consolidated, and all the students attended school in Richardson.
The population of Richardson continued to slowly rise from 400 to 720. Shortly before World War II, the community had thirty-five businesses. After World War II the area began to expand. Nearby communities, such as Northern Hills, were annexed. In spite of improvements Richardson remained a sleepy farming community until the 1950s. In 1952 Richardson had a population of 1,288 and 45 businesses. In 1961, the population was 16,810. In 1951, Technological industries (Collins Radio was one of them) began moving into Richardson. Later in the 1950s, Texas Instruments opened near Richardson’s southwest border. The community began to be known as the “electronic suburb.”
Other improvements in the 1950s included the formation of a police department, Terrace Park, and a community center. In 1954, the arrival of Central Expressway (U.S. Highway 75) allowed Richardson to become a suburb of Dallas, with shopping centers replacing the cotton fields. In 1956 a home rule charter and a council-manager form of government was adopted.
During the 1960s, land along the northern border was annexed, and industrial parks were developed. A number of businesses opened, including 22 manufacturing firms, making such things as machine parts, space tracking systems, and television cameras. By 1971, Richardson’s population was 43,900. In the 1960s, Richardson had become a popular suburb for upper income, college-educated professionals. Education was a focus for the community, with the Southwest Center for Advanced Studies opening there in 1964 (becoming the University of Texas at Dallas in 1969). By 1966 there were 17 elementary, 5 junior high, and 3 senior high schools. Community services included 4 banks, a hospital, 31 churches of fourteen denominations, and 8 parks.
Richardson experienced another boom in the early 1980s with the influx of telecommunication firms. Richardson’s nickname, the “electronic city,” was replaced by “Telecom Corridor.” In the 1980’s the city had 139 police officers and 134 firemen. The Richardson Independent School District (RISD) now operated 37 elementary, 9 middle or junior high, and 4 high schools, with a total student population of 32,695. There were two schools of higher learning, the University of Texas at Dallas and Richland Community College. In addition to all the entertainment in the Dallas area Richardson had its own symphony orchestra, and the Christmas Parade was an annual event. Several museums were located in the community, including Owens Spring Creek Farm, a showcase farm with vintage sausage-making equipment, and the University of Texas at Dallas Aviation Collection.
By 1990 Richardson had 102 manufacturing firms, with an emphasis on electronics and telecommunications. 17 publications were prepared in Richardson, including five related to the petroleum industry, one English and Polish language literary journal. The Richardson News, a daily community newspaper founded in 1958, had a 1990 circulation of 8,000. The population in 1990 was 74,840; in 2000 was 91,802; and by 2010, Richardson’s population had grown to nearly 100,000.
Source: Handbook of Texas Online, Lisa C. Maxwell, “Richardson, TX,” accessed February 06, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hdr01.