Al’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning Provides Maintenance, Repair & Replacement services for Plumbing & HVAC in University Park , TX.
Visit University Park’s City Website Here:University Park’s Website
Since 1989, Al’s has served southern Denton & Collin counties, northern Dallas County & northeast Tarrant County with up to a 12 Truck Service Fleet to serve you promptly.
This Is What You Get With Al’s:
- As a company, Al’s has a Texas Plumbing License, PLUS
- We employ only Texas Licensed Plumbers. The Plumber coming into your home also has a Texas Plumber License.
- We pull all Plumbing and HVAC Permits required by your City. You can check your City’s website to know when a Plumbing or HVAC Permit is required.
- We employ NATE Certified HVAC Technicians (Details on NATE below. Texas doesn’t have HVAC Licenses).
- We install Brand-Specific Repair Parts versus “one size fits all”.
- Our Service Staff has over 110 years experience.
Al’s Offers 24 / 7 Emergency Service for both Plumbing & HVAC Systems in University Park, TX.
Boundaries and History Of University Park
Boundaries of University Park, TX. University Park is 5 miles north of downtown Dallas in central Dallas County, bordered by the city of Dallas on the north and east and Highland Park to the south. West boundary (north to south): University Park’s western boundary is generally the Dallas North Tollway. In the extreme northwest corner of the city, there is a notch that moves the boundary east to Preston Road, south to Colgate Ave., west to Westchester, northwest to Douglas, south to Greenbriar, then west to (just east of) the Dallas North Tollway, and south to Mockingbird Lane. North boundary is (west to east) W. Northwest Highway, between Preston and Airline Road. The northern boundary then has several notches which extend the boundary further south. These notches are at: (just south of) Colgate Ave., Durham Street; Boedeker Street; and Williard Drive.
East boundary (at northeast corner of the City) is Airline Road from Northwest Highway to (just south of) Colgate Ave. Then east to Durham St., south to (just north of) Southwest Blvd., east to Boedeker Street, south to (just south of) Bryn Mawr Drive, east to Willard, south to (just south of) Amhurst Ave. At that point, west to Boedecker St., and south to E. Lovers Lane. East to (just west of) U.S. Hwy 75 to University Blvd. At this point, there is a notch extending east of 75 to (a little west of) Greenville Ave., south to (north of) Dryer and west to (just west of) U.S. Hwy 75. South to E. Mockingbird Land, which is the southeast corner of the city at U.S. 75 and E. Mockingbird Lane.
South boundary (east to west) starts at the southeast corner of the City and extends west along Mocking Bird Lane to Abbot Ave, where it moves north slightly to (just south of) Potomac Ave, east to Key St., north to Binkley Ave., west to Golf Drive. There it wraps around the Golf Course along Golf Drive; McFarlin Blvd., along Turtle Creek, extending west to Shannon Lane (half way between Shannon Ln and Windsor Ave.), where it aligns (just east of): Shannon Lane, west to Westwick Road, south to St. Andrews Dr. to Preston Rd. It then projects west in a slight southerly manner to roughly the mid-point of Potomac Ave., south to Mockingbird Lane, and west to (just east of) the Dallas North Tollway, on the southwest corner of the city.
History of University Park, TX
University Park’s name originated because of its location adjacent to Southern Methodist University. SMU officially opened in 1915, and homes were built around the campus to house teachers and staff of the university. Water for the campus came from artesian wells and sewer lines were connected to Dallas’s lines in Oak Lawn. Homes in the area were joined to the university water and sewer lines, and homeowners paid the university for these services.
By 1924, with more than 380 homes in the area, the university could no longer afford to supply water and sewer lines to residential areas. The cities of Dallas and Highland Park both refused to annex the University Park area due to the cost of installing new sewer lines and supplying trash removal, police and fire protection. In 1924 the city of University Park was incorporated with a population of 1,200.
The first city government consisted of a mayor and five aldermen, but on April 6, 1926, residents voted to adopt a commission form of city government. In 1924, a $150,000 bond election was held to set up fire protection and to finance water and street improvements. The town organized its own trash removal system in 1925. Snider Plaza, a popular shopping center, opened in 1927. Although it remained largely undeveloped throughout the Great Depression, the population of University Park grew rapidly, mirroring the growth of Southern Methodist University and the nearby cities of Dallas and Highland Park.
By 1945 University Park had an estimated population of 18,000 and 120 businesses. In that year the city of Dallas attempted to annex the cities of Highland Park and University Park, commonly referred to as the Park Cities, but was turned down by a narrow margin. After their refusal of a merger, Dallas used its home rule powers to annex territory adjacent to University Park, cutting off all land for expansion. At that time, University Park still relied on the city of Dallas for such services as water and sewage treatment, so in 1947 the Park Cities set up their own Water Control and Improvement District to take over these functions. A water-purification plant, reservoir, and pressure tank were completed in 1950.
Because it was surrounded by Dallas, University Park was prevented from annexing land for growth and its area remained 3.7 square miles. Few lots were left vacant on which to build new homes. The population rose from 4,200 in 1930 to 14,458 in 1940 and 23,823 in 1950. Between 1950 and 1990 it fluctuated moderately, reaching an estimated 28,500 in 1956. In that year University Park had 11 churches and 7 parks. University Park’s schools became part of the Highland Park school system. The 1990 population was 22,259, and 2010 population was 23,100. The university still remains one of the largest employers, and businesses continue to be primarily university or student related.